Dr. Chang's Teaching Log

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Teaching Map Reading Thru ICT

I had a couple of teachers nodding off in my workshop today. I did this 3 hr professional development workshop for teachers on using google earth for map reading. It didn’t help that the teachers cam after a full day at school. But two people started nodding off when i was explaining the rationale for some of our activities. I had to stop, take stock. Close the powerpoint slideshow. Jump on to something else. It worked.

The session was well received generally and I have included some of the reflections of what they have learnt from the session here:

"I have learnt a range of tolls in Google Earth"

"I've learnt how to make teaching map reading more exciting and interesting through using GE. It is very interesting to be 'brought' to the places virtually."

"Can't wait to share with my pupils. It's so exciting to be able to locate the places on Google Earth"

"Today I have learnt some basics of GE and I have gained some insights on how to harness and incorporate the use of GE to teach landscape interpretation"

"GE can bring the field to the students, giving them the physical and cultural context of maps"

"I've learnt make GE relevant to classroom teaching. I enjoyed the lesson very much"

"At last the topo map has come alive"

"I've learnt how to use GE to aid students visualise and gather information to construct explanations"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home