Dr. Chang's Teaching Log

Monday, January 29, 2007

Written on 29 jan at 0720

Written on 29 Jan at 0720 am

Another start of the week. Last week was a rather uneventful week.

I had a rather dissatisfying attempt at group work with 3E2. This was the Geography Elective class. Upon hindsight I shouldn’t have tried it. I was afterall our 4th meething. This was due to the Sec 3 Camp and changes in time table.

The class responded well to the initial part of the jigsaw activity. They could get into groups, identify roles but trouble started after that. In their expert groups, we could not get the students to work on their task. Two possible problems I identified were: expert group size too big and dynamics between boys and girls. They were rather shy and the girls and boys sat in little enclaves. Discussion was sparse.

The situation got better when they got back into their home teams. The discussion started again and students were on task. On the whole the experience was less than satisfying and I really could have designed a much better jig saw grouping/activity. The purpose was to help them revise some facts and then draw out the big ideas of temperature and rainfall being important controls on natural vegetation. I’ll try something again for the next period.

I also had that 1.5 hrs long lecture with 3E4. The session turned out much better than I had thought. Perhaps the lecture pedagogy was so well practiced that it came as second nature. Having said that, CS also thought that the class went well. I was able to practice my questioning skill and sharpen it. At least I was able to drawn the link between the concepts and that came as a rather reassuring idea. During the single period, I could guide the students to complete a inference exercise based on photograph interpretation of a volcano. I wish I had audio recorded the session. I should do that the next time and capture the questioning process.

I have another 1 hr 40 min today with 2N1 and I will be using a web-based developed course ware to help me teach about settlement patterns. Hope it will work.


1440

I now have the new time table - 3 timetables in a year..... i was told this is normal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home