Dr. Chang's Teaching Log

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

One week into ZHSS

I’ve just finished preparing for tomorrow’s lesson and I thought it is the time to reflect on my school attachment last week. Last Thursday was the first day at school and I was quite surprised to find that I was allocated 6 periods. The three classes that teach range from secondary two to secondary three, from pure geography to elective geography, from normal acadcemic to express stream students. This wide range of students allow me to experience the classroom better. Although the HOD apologized that the timetable could be better I couldn’t help but feel that this was due to the fact that I am attached two days in a week only. This might even cause havoc for other teachers.

I received my timetable only the day before but I was prepared with multi-combinations of lesson plans. Not surprising, I was not able to stick to them at all. I had to introduce the students to the syllabus and make arrangments for classroom logistics. On the whole I was pleased that I was at least able to get the students to think about what Geography is for each of them.

I used the mood sheet as a device to get participation. One main problem I found was that students were not very skilled at taking notes. This lead me to “teach” how to take notes the following Monday.

Another drama that arose was the supposed “mass lecture” on Monday. I was quite sure CS told me that my attachment would spell the end of mass lectures (at least for the time I was there). In the afternoon on Thursday just before I left, a colleague told me that I had to conduct the mass lecture the following Monday. I instantly got into action to prepare the materials though I did not think it was the right thing to do. On Monday morning however, I found out that I did not have to do that. So I was frantically thinking of what to do for the lesson with 3E2. To standardize what I was doing with the other classes, I decided to run copies of the “How to take notes” guide and teach that instead. The outcome was reasonably satisfying. I basically talked through the guide with the students, explaining when I needed to and then en-acted a lesson from which they have to take notes. I went round and picked examples to show how note taking can be improved. I did this twice with each of the classes and I am quite sure they can start practicing the skill now. Oh and one more thing. I also started a competition so that the most beautifully decorated notebook wins a prize from me. I told them that the prize value will appreciate with their cooperation and responsiveness in class and depreciate if behaviour turns bad. That much for carrot and stick! Ha.

Well, I am quite prepared fro tomorrow now.. with jig-saw puzzles, groupwork and what not. Let’s see how it goes and I’ll blog about it more diligently than I have been.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home